- Trip Code: ATH388
- Best Season: January, February, March, April, May, June, September, October, November & December
- Country Visited: Nepal
- Trip Start: Kathmandu
- Trip Ends: Kathmandu
- Trip Route: Kathmandu-Kakani-Shivapuri Village-Chisapani-Nagarkot-Namo Buddha-Kathmandu
- Trip Style: Mountain Biking
- Activity: Mountain Biking
- Max. Altitude:
2,175 m /7134 ft
- Group Size: Min. 2 pax pax
- Activity Per Day: Approximately 4 to 6 hrs mountain biking per day
- Trip Category: Mountain Biking
- Challenging biking trails like trail to Kakani, Scar Road, 30 Minutes of Heaven and others
- Tasting the delicious trout fish (locally farmed) throughout the route to Kakani
- The magnificent views of the Himalayas from Annapurna to Everest
- Sunrise on the Himalayas seen from Nagarkot
- Riding along the lush paddy fields and traditional plantation and harvesting
- Namo Buddha, a beautiful Buddhist monastery and one of the most sacred Buddhist pilgrimage sites
- Historically, artistically and culturally rich towns like Panauti and Dhulikhel
- Bhaktapur, one of the oldest cities of the Kathmandu valley
This biking and safari adventure takes you, at first, for a thrilling ride around the Kathmandu valley. As you ride up and down the hills and adventurous trails on your mountain bike, the beautiful Himalayas dominate the skyline. And then, the trip takes you to Chitwan National Park. Lonely Planet, the largest travel guide book publisher, says it is “one of the best wildlife-viewing national parks in Asia”.
You begin your biking adventure by paddling from Kathmandu. Enjoy riding in the bustling city and then start a challenging ride to Kakani, a quiet town atop a ridge. The hill station offers mesmerizing views of the Himalayan ranges from Annapurna to Everest (weather permitting). Ahead is a 9-km single track, known as “Scar Road”, which runs through Shivapuri National Park. In the trip, you will get lots of opportunities to ride in challenging trails. On Day 3 while biking from Shivapuri village to Chisapani, you will ride on a single biking trail known as “30 Minutes of Heaven”.
From Chisapani, cycle to Nagarkot, which is another popular hill station offering the breathtaking sights of the snow-white peaks. The major attraction of staying overnight at Nagarkot is the sunrise in the morning. Wake up before dawn and go out on the balcony. You will be amazed at the scenery. The sun rays light up the Himalayan mountains and turn them from white to red and gold.
From Nagarkot, ride for 5 km along a ridge at first. You will pass through beautiful towns that have preserved their cultures well and have distinct medieval look. They are Panauti and Dhulikhel, both of which are Newari towns. You will stay at Namo Buddha, which has a beautiful Buddhist monastery. It is one of the most sacred Buddhist pilgrimage sites. You will also pass through a giant statue of Shiva, one of the significant Hindu gods. And around the end of the biking tour, a scenic single track takes you to Bhaktapur, one of the oldest cities of the valley, which is adorned with impressive medieval as well as ancient buildings and temples.
When the biking tour ends, the safari adventure begins. Take a drive to Chitwan National Park. At the park, you will do lots of activities such as elephant safari, canoeing, jungle safari, visit to elephant breeding centre and watching wildlife. You will get to watch some of the rare wild birds and animals and plants.
- Day 1 – Arrival in Kathmandu (1,400 m). Overnight at Hotel.
- Day 2 – Ride from Kathmandu to Kakani (2,300). Distance: 33 km. Overnight at Guesthouse.
- Day 3 – Ride from Kakani to Shivapuri Village (2,000 m). Distance: 33 km. Overnight at Guesthouse.
- Day 4 – Ride from Shivapuri to Chisapani (2,430 m). Distance: 67 km. Overnight at Guesthouse.
- Day 5 – Ride from Chisapani to Nagarkot (2,175 m). Distance: 37 km. Overnight at Hotel.
- Day 6 – Ride from Nagarkot to Namo Buddha (1, 750 m). Distance: 49 km. Overnight at Hotel.
- Day 7 – Ride from Namo Buddha and Back to Kathmandu. Distance: 40 km. Overnight at Hotel.
- Day 8 – Drive from Kathmandu to Chitwan National Park (415 m) by Tourist Vehicle. Overnight at Resort.
- Day 9 – Full Day Jungle Activities inside the Chitwan National Park. Overnight at Resort.
- Day 10 – Early Morning Activities and Drive Back to Kathmandu by Tourist Vehicle . Overnight at Hotel.
- Day 11 - Transfer to the International Airport for Your Flight Departure.
The above information is a guide and standard template of what we provide. Our trip can be customized at your request to accommodate your specific requirements.
NOTE: During the trip, weather, local politics, transport or a multitude of other factors, that are beyond our control can result in a change of itinerary. It is, however, very unlikely that the itinerary would be substantially altered; if alterations are necessary, the leader will decide what is the best alternative, taking into consideration the best interests of the whole group. Where a change does occur, we do everything we can to minimize its effect, but we cannot be responsible for the results of changes or delay.
Please note that in this type of rides where you usually pedal along the whole trail without lift access or shuttle and don't need any extraordinary equipment to complete the ride. This means bikes are light, not too much travel in the suspension, and usually hard-tails (only front suspension). The terrain can be fairly rough, but not extreme. These trips require more endurance as well as some skills, depending on the region we offer, so can be enjoyed by riders of all levels. Vehicle support is provided where possible to make your journey safe and stress-free.