- Trip Code: ATH304
- Best Season: February, March, April, May, June, July, September, October, November & December
- Country Visited: Nepal
- Trip Start: Kathmandu
- Trip Ends: Kathmandu
- Destination: Everest and Island Peak
- Trip Route: Lukla-Namche Bazar-Tengboche-Lobuche--EBC-Island Peak-Namche Bazar-Lukla
- Trip Style: Lodge to Lodge Trekking and Tented camp Stay at Island Peak Base Camp
- Activity: Sightseeing and High Altitude Trekking, Climbing involve with Rope and Ice Axe
- Max. Altitude:
6,187 m /20293.36 ft
- Group Size: Min. 1 pax
- Activity Per Day: Approximately 4-6 hr walking, minimum 12 hrs walking on the climbing day
- Trip Category: Everest Region
- Exploring the temples, shrines, bazaars and restaurants of Kathmandu
- Scenic flight to and from Lukla
- Step inside and experience life as the “mountain people” live, in the heart of Himalaya
- Visiting Tengboche Monastery
- Impressive views of Khumbu Ice fall
- Everest Base Camp, walking on the Khumbu glacier, Climbing Kalapattar
- Attempting Island Peak
This professionally designed Island peak climbing itinerary takes you to the acclimatization hike to the most popular trekking destination of Everest Base Camp and Kala Pattar first for the close up views of Mt. Everest before scaling the pick. Island Peak was the name given to the mountain in 1952 by Eric Shipton's who thought it to be reminiscent of an island in a sea of ice. It is also known as "Imja Tse" in Sherpa Name.
We take an exciting mountain flight to Lukla and trek up the Dudh Kosi Valley, surrounded by the soaring peaks of Thamserku and Kusum Kanguru. It’s a steep ascent to Namche Bazaar, capital of the Kumbu Sherpas, where we are again greeted by spectacular mountain vistas. A rest day here aids acclimatization and there are great optional walks to enjoy the area.
We continue trek to Tengboche Pheriche and accommodate at high altitude in Gorak shep. After enjoying with magnificent views of Mt. Everest and surrounding peaks, we continue descend to Chhukung to prepare for the ascent of Island Peak. After a day of walking from Chhukung we reach the Island Peak Base Camp to prepare for to attempt the peak. It may take an additional day or two to scale the peak depending on weather conditions. For some people reaching to the summit from the base camp is a day activity. However, some climbers prefer alpine style camping at high camp which adds the joy of climbing and also helps a safe ascent. After a successful climbing we return at our leisurely pace back to Namche and Lukla for our return flight to Kathmandu.
If you are looking for longer trip to Island Peak then our 25 days Everest High passes and Island Peak Adventure is Great Option OR if you are looking for shorter trip then our only 17 days Island Peak Adventure is option for you.
- Day 01 - Arrival at the Tribuwan International Airport in Kathmandu (1,345m). Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 02 - Fly to Lukla (2,804m). Trek to Phakding (2,610m) - 3 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 03 - Trek to Namche Bazaar (3,441m) - 5.5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 04 - Namche Bazaar acclimatization day. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 05 - Trek to the Tengboche Monastery (3,860m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 06 - Trek to Dingboche (4350 meters) 6 hours. Overnight at Guesthouse.
- Day 07 - Rest and acclimatization day. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 08 - Trek to Lobuche (4,910m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 09 - Trek to Gorak Shep (5,180m) then hike up to Everest Base Camp (5,365m) back to Gorak Shep - 8 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 10 - Hike up to Kalapatthar (5555 meters) early in the morning and trek down to Periche (4200 meters) - 7 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 11 - Trek to Chukkung (4,710 m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 12 - Trek to Island Peak Base Camp (5,240 m) - 4 hrs. Overnight at a tented camp.
- Day 13 & 14 - Reach the summit of the Island peak (6,187m) and return to Chhukung (4,750m). Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 15 - Trek to Tengboche (3,860m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 16 - Trek to Namche Bazaar (3,441m) via Khumjung (3,780 m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 17 - Trek to Lukla (2,804m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 18 - Morning flight back to Kathmandu. Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 19 - Transfer for your final flight departure
The above information is a guide and standard template of what we provide. Our trip can be customized at your request to accommodate your specific requirements.
NOTE: During the trip; weather, local politics, transport or a multitude of other factors, that are beyond our control can result in a change of itinerary. It is, however, very unlikely that the itinerary would be substantially altered; if alterations are necessary the leader will decide what is the best alternative, taking into consideration the best interests of the whole group. Where a change does occur, we do everything we can to minimize its effect, but we cannot be responsible for the results of changes or delays.
Flight Delay in Kathmandu and Lukla
Twin Otter is the primary mode of transport to and from the airstrip at Lukla. This service is fairly dependable. Sometimes, flights (to and from Lukla) may be cancelled due to mountain weather conditions or technical problems. In such case, Ace the Himalaya will charter a helicopter to ensure you are on schedule for your international flight. The helicopter can fly if the visibility is 1500m, while the twin otter can fly if the visibility is 5000m, as per Nepal’s Civil Aviation rules.
The cost of the helicopter is payable directly to our Kathmandu office in the event that this service is utilized. US cash, traveler's cheques, or credit cards (Visa Cards, Master Cards only) are accepted. You will be given a receipt upon payment so that you may claim the amount from your travel insurance. The minimum cost will be US$500 and maximum US$3500 depending on the number of group members.